Happy birthday, America!!! Philly is truly the best place to be to celebrate July 4th. Philadelphia is full of history and celebrates our awesome country’s birth like rockstars all week long. From Americen Revolutionary War reinacment fun at the National Constitution Center to a free Philly POPS! Concert to the Art Museum Philly Jam concert extravaganza, there’s something for everyone.
Here are a few of our 4th of July picks:
- July 2-4th, head over to the National Constitution Center between 10am-5pm and explore the life of a US Revolutionary War soldier at the recreated military camp on the lawn. You can visit the medical tent, practice mustering, peruse swords at the blacksmith shop and much more—perfect for your whole family!
- Thursday night, enjoy a free Philly POPS! Concert on Independence Mall starting at 8pm. Bring a blanket (or beach towel or lawn chair) and perhaps a little picnic and enjoy the annual America-themed concert. Plus bonus for history lovers, they’ll be reading exerpts of the Declaration of Independence between songs!
- There are a plethora of fun things planned for July 4th! From 10-11am, Vice President Joe Biden is heading into town to join Mayor Nutter, Martin Luther King III and others for the Celebration of Freedom Ceremony at Independence Hall. It’s the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and 60th anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court decision, and they will be paying tribute to the history of our country and the monumental progress we’ve made.
- After the 10-11am ceremony, enjoy the annual July 4th Independence Day Parade! More than 5,000 participants participate in this patriotic tradition—and who doesn’t love floats?!
- It might be rainy, but it’s going to be warm no matter what, so why not cool off at the Super Scooper All-You-Can-Eat Ice Cream Festival at Penn’s Landing! Grab $7 dollars and eat your little heart out—and all proceeds benefit the Joshua Kahan Fund for pediatric cancer, so really there’s no better reason to eat ice cream! And if you don’t make it on the 4th, no worries, it’s all weekend from 12-5pm.
- And you can’t forget that epic Fourth of July Jam on the Art Museum steps! Hosted by comedian Marlon Wayans, the free concert will feature Aloe Blacc, Ariana Grande, Jennifer Hudson, Nicki Minaj, Ed Sheeran and the Philly fav The Roots! Plus, a stunning fireworks display will end the night in fine style. Make sure to bring water and stay hydrated!