Philadelphia is the perfect spot for beer aficionados and the more casual drinker. With home brewed craft beers and tons of restaurants with rotating beers on tap, you can find a beer to fit your fancy all over the city. Philly Beer Week starts tomorrow, May 30th, and there are so many events to choose from to celebrate–from South Street to Old City to Rittenhouse Square and even the suburbs! You can see the full list here but if you’d like some suggestions, check out our picks for some hot spots to explore, celebrate and experiment with beer.
- The Irish Pol in Old City always holds the very first (and last) PBW event—at 12:01 tonight (technically tomorrow), they throw the beginning party with happy hour prices until closing time. They have 40 beers on tap, yes, 40, and everything is just $3! If you’re not one to head to the bar at midnight (no judgment, we aren’t either!), you can head to The Irish Pol for their daily happy hour and explore their beer list for super cheap between 5-7pm.
- Teresa’s Café & Next Door Bar has an awesome deal for you Dogfish Head lovers! Even if you don’t live in the city, you can celebrate PBW! Head over to Teresa’s Café in Wayne, conveniently located right by the train station, tomorrow between 3-5pm and enjoy Dogfish Head World Wide Stout and 120 Minute IPA for just 2 dollars. Finish up with the early happy hour and head into the city to enjoy even more Beer Week fun.
- BRU Craft & Wurst in Center City will offer 12 lines of Jolly Pumpkin draft for just $6 all day Sunday and Monday from open to close. Just a tip: if you are coming in for a specific beer, like the Oro de Calabaza or the WeizenBam (yum), call first to make sure there’s some left.
- The Nodding Head Brewery is celebrating beer with a Self-Guided Brewery Tour! Grab a drink at the bar and peruse their malt room, brewhouse, serving tanks and the Phunk Barrels—don’t know what those are? What better time to learn more about the beer brewing process and Philly’s own “Little Brewery That Could” than during beer week? They’re open from 11am-2am.
- a.kitchen+bar in Rittenhouse Square is having a sour beer tap takeover starting Monday, June 2nd. Every beer on tap will have a different style sour beer for you to try, so if you’ve been thinking about expanding your beer horizons, there’s no better place to go! From an Italian Sour Ale aged in wood to an American Wild Ale steeped with sour cherries, there’s something for the sour beer fanatic and the sour beer newbie. They’re all available until they kick, so if you’re really craving one, get there early in the week!
- The Twisted Tail on South Street is having a “Kick the Keg” event the whole week—if you kick the keg, they buy your beer! With over 120 American whiskies and tons of delicious beer, critically acclaimed southern inspired cuisine, outdoor seating and 6 nights of live music, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
We’d love to hear about your favorite Philly Beer week spots–let us know on Facebook or in the comments here. And if you’re the social media type, join in on the PBW fun by hashtagging: #PBW2014!