One of our favorite things about Philadelphia is the wide range of awesome activities, events, and places offered throughout the city. There’s something for everyone—want to do something free and fun? Philly has it. Want to spend a little money and go on a scavenger hunt in our renowned art museum? Done. Want to do some free relaxing yoga with a view? Got it! There’s an endless supply of entertainment, culture and education in our city. You just have to pick what you want to do from the amazing choices.
Here are some of The Mike McCann Team’s picks for this weekend.
- How fun does this sound? The Philadelphia Museum of Art presents a thrilling murder mystery scavenger hunt! “A curator’s been murdered at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, but he’s left a trail of clues connected with secrets in the works of art. As you gather answers, you’ll learn a sordid tale revolving around a planned purchase of a rare painting by Leonardo di Vinci” It’s up to you to crack the code and solve the mystery! It runs from 2pm-4pm and is $34.50-$39.50 with museum admission included in the fun. Make sure to call ahead to purchase—if you have questions, call 877-9GO-HUNT and hurry! The game starts tomorrow, June 7th!
- There are so many gorgeous paths, lush wooded areas, green foliage and wild animals from the adorable chipmunks to loud geese to birds galore throughout Philly. This Saturday, why not grab your family, friends or venture on your own to the Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education for the Annual Nesting Bird Census to learn more about birds! Birding is a quickly growing hobby beloved by many—from elementary aged children to college folks to young professionals to parents to retired folk—there’s no age limit to loving bird watching! Want to see what all the excitement is about or just learn more? From 7-11am, the Schuylkill Center will pair experienced birders with beginners to learn more about recognizing the array of local birds and help the center collect valuable information about the birds that live there. They advise that you bring binoculars, they’ll provide the refreshments.
- The Athenaeum of Philadelphia is a National History Landmark building filled with books, manuscripts, architectural drawings, photographs and history galore. Founded in 1814, The Athenaeum may seem plain on the outside but inside it contains richly embellished reading rooms with soaring 24-foot ceilings that you just have to see for yourself. PLUS this weekend they’re having a used book sale starting Saturday at 11am-3pm! For all of you book lovers, there should be some fascinating and unique finds here for absolutely reasonable prices. You don’t even have to purchase anything—it’s worth the trip to check out this beautiful historic spot.
- World Café Live is hosting the Big Quiz Thing—as seen on TV–NYC’s only live trivia game show and it’s filled with awesome quiz games. Video and audio puzzles, Text Message Challenge, a crazy three-way finale and the best quiz questions out there. It’s a trivia lover’s dream and engaging and interesting enough for the trivia newbie! Plus they have tons of cool prizes from passes to the Mutter Museum, Philadelphia’s Magic Garden, Arden Theatre, World Café Live and more…plus you could win the $200 jackpot! For just $8 dollars, this promises to be a night to remember.
- Did you know that you can enjoy FREE yoga with a beautiful river view 6 days a week (no classes on Wednesday) with Yoga on The Pier at Race Street Pier? Well you can! Saturday and Sunday at 9:30am, join a group of wonderful yoga teachers (Yoga United) and practice! Donations are welcome, but no one will be turned away. Their weekend classes are great for all levels AND children and pets are welcome to join! Can’t get better than that. Make sure to bring your own mat!
- Philly Beer Week is still happening (you may remember our post about our favorite picks for the beginning of the week), and this weekend you should head over to Fishtown for their FetivALE! Starting at 12pm on Saturday and running until 8pm, the 3rd annual Fishtown FestiVALE brings Johnny Brenda’s, Fette Sau and Frankford Hall together to bring you an outdoor summer beer party you will love! Cold beer, delicious food, DJs with a variety of jams, photo booths, dunk tanks and much more…you pay as you go and no matter what, it should be a blast! You can find the action between Girard and Shackamaxon.
- And of course, we have our Sunday funday open houses!
Have an awesome weekend!